July 20, 2009

Understanding Luxury.


When working with Regina, there is always another layer of experience that differentiates the work from a typical ad agency assignment. It's insightful and intuitive. There's a thoughtfulness and intimacy. It's not just about taking a picture and plopping it into an ad.

For The Grand Del Mar project Regina's team created gorgeous collateral. The feel of the brochure was amazing. Even the golf card at the pro shop had a vintage quality, this other layer. It felt real. It's a big, grand hotel, but Regina brought it down to an experiential level. Even if she plans a big shot, something in the composition is evocative. It draws you in.

I didn't realize how deep an impression their work had on me until later. I was hired by a PR firm to shoot the RH Restaurant and Bar at the new Andaz West Hollywood hotel. We'd taken a lunch break and I'd put my camera away. But when I picked up the menu, it was so pretty and I was so impressed, I grabbed my camera. For me to get out my camera after I put it down on my break is saying a lot. The design definitely spoke to me. It was custom-made, a step beyond the normal menu. I asked who designed it. Sure enough, it was a Robert Louey/Regina Rubino brand campaign for the restaurant and the hotel. I laughed. No wonder the design spoke to me.

Regina really understands luxury. It's nice to work with someone who understands the finer points of life. She wants the images we create for the client to convey that. Even if it's a button-down shirt for the model. She knows you feel better if you're wearing good clothes. And that will be expressed in the image.

I always say to my clients that they own the images I create for them. They can do what they want. But sometimes the ad or brochure is disappointing because it looks cheesy or the basic layout is not thoughtful or creative. But with Regina's team, they always use the best paper, the most gorgeous fonts and the layouts are superb. It's like a spa treatment for my pictures because they come out looking even better than I expected.

Karyn Millet.