July 16, 2009

The Art of Communication


Don Terwilliger, president, Digital Color Concepts, New York City

"When I started out as a printing sales person more than 20 years ago, Louey/Rubino Design Group was one of my first high-end, creative designers and I was excited to work with them. But the relationship went far beyond a business opportunity. They were instrumental in expanding my whole approach to this industry. They are awesome designers who taught me to push the envelope. They were always willing to try anything to get the best, most beautiful result. That attitude still shapes me today. My partner Stephen Pandolfi and I will try anything, if it will benefit our client. It has become part of our reputation as printers.

"When I first met Robert and Regina I was working for my father. I gave them carte blanche to create a joint promotional book. We called it The Art of Communication. I remember my father was mad at me. He said, 'Why are we spending all this money?' I could understand his concern: it was an investment and leap of faith on our part. But when it all came together it worked. And to this day it has gotten more quick responses from prospective clients than anything I've ever done in my entire career. It paid off because it has gotten us a lot of work.

"What Robert and Regina do is give you the best of the best. They give you a WOW factor. They're very good at communicating what they want which allows us to use our talent and knowledge to get them where they want to go. It's a team. When I'd show our work to other printers they'd almost always ask, 'How did you do that'

"It's funny. I always have around 12 pieces of our best work on hand to show prospective clients. We do 150 jobs each month, I can't keep everything, so I rotate. But over the years I've held onto two pieces in particular that still please me and excite others. Both were designed by Robert Louey and Regina Rubino."