July 28, 2014

Welcome Heather!



Heather has been a dear friend for so long. As a floral designer at Fleurs du Jour, the flower shop downstairs, she helped to create beautiful arrangements for our studio. Her cheery disposition greeted us almost daily. So we were thrilled when Heather was looking to expand her administrative and managerial skills by joining our studio. We welcome her wholeheartedly.

I met Regina Rubino and Robert Louey 16 years ago when I was working in the flower shop downstairs from their office. After a decade and a half, I joined the studio and quickly learned that what I thought I knew about their company, was merely a sliver of a glimpse into their actual day-to-day.  

The stakes are high among this dedicated group. Every client, every detail, every deadline is important, so every member of the team is fully engaged. I jumped in whole-heartedly, integrating into the rhythm, flow and process. Everyone on the team is dedicated, very busy, and works tireless hours, so I take pride in having everything stocked, prepared & ready to go for them when they need it. There are so many moving parts to this operation and everybody looks out for one another (much like family). I love knowing that I’m an integral part of the team, while mixing in a bit of humor and levity.

Another aspect of my purview involves communicating with the public. When somebody calls, whether client or vendor/supplier, it’s imperative to convey a sense of understanding and respect. Many of the people we work with hail from different cultures and have customs varying from our own. So I revel in having been taught and knowing appropriate behaviors when speaking with them.  

When Regina or Robert are traveling to other countries, I explore the customs and intricacies of doing business in those places so I can feel a part of it. In further researching travel destinations, it takes me on a fulfilling journey of my own, where a deeper level of understanding of people, places and culture fosters and grows.

It’s been most impressive to witness the complete process of strategic branding, from the start of the idea — research, analysis & discussion to paper, paper (and more deliberation) to presentation, presentation (and refinements) to print, and then print (with adjustments) to production — finally to see & hold the resulting logos and identity systems (business cards, stationery, websites and signs). 

My secret thrill is making “paper dummies”, which are mock-ups of actual products for presentations: I’ve made menus, card holder inserts, stationery folders and holders, boxes…  It’s crafty (and time consuming), but my previous flower shop experience lends itself well to this part of the process. 

And then at the end of the day, my greatest reward is that Regina & Robert are happy. And the studio is working smoothly. That is most gratifying.

~ Heather Murray