February 23, 2012

Air Travel: Fasten your seatbelt, but don't forget to look!




I never tire of looking out the window of a plane as I travel throughout the world. So it was Sunday night on my return from Savannah. I’d made the trip to research art and mores, and to take the emotional temperature of the region for a new Andaz property, the excellent new brand of Hyatt Hotels Corporation.

I always book a window seat because the view is one of the exquisite perks of flying. To not take full advantage of the opportunity would be like skipping dessert and aperitifs after a fine meal. Or rejecting an invitation to fly with an eagle.

The sky’s mountains and majesties are one kind of inspiration — infinite and expansive clouds that gently urge the mind to relax and unfurl. But then those layers of intrigue give way to myriad sensations as we glide over the patchwork quilt of the agricultural and suburban Midwest. The deep purples and browns of the Southwest’s deserts stretch out like the canvas of an abstract painting, simple yet absorbing. My favorite experience is catching a glimpse of the ocean, seemingly as endless as the blue-black sky.

On Sunday, jetting over the sculpted San Bernardino Mountains as we approached Los Angeles International Airport,  I delighted in the light and fluffy clouds, a massive and yet inviting bubble bath. So lovely, I wanted to dive in.

In any case, as long and tiring as air travel can be, sometimes I just don’t want to come back to Earth.  And yet, after landing, I invariably begin to feel the sweet anticipation of the next flight.  
    
Fasten your seatbelt, but don’t forget to look!