September 12, 2011

La Dolce Vita



I was invited to Indonesia on a joint-venture in 1992 for a year and ended up spending an enchanted decade in Asia. Jakarta was my first stop, but opportunities eventually took me to Hong Kong. It was wonderful to be in this international jewel of a city that was teeming with possibilities. But what I remember most are the amazing people I met. In particular, two smart, fun-loving fellow travelers who became life-long friends. Masami had come to Hong Kong to escape a boring job in Paris. Nathalie, also French, was working for a major shipping company.  But work was the least of our interests. Together we danced from dusk till dawn, and shared all sorts of day trips and other memorable adventures. Even though life’s demands would eventually send us to different parts of the world, we so enjoyed each other that Masami, Nathalie and I promised to meet every two years. In some far-flung place where we could catch up, celebrate and rejoice in shared experience.



La douceur de vivre — ah, the sweet life!



The 3 of us at breakfast on a rooftop with Roberto in Roma, Pasqua 2009