April 16, 2011

A Flower Blooms, A World Tour Begins



'Tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes!

~
William Wordsworth

Simple truths express uncommon power: Nurture a seedling and it will eventually blossom into a flower. Witness the bloom and forever be enchanted by the potential we all carry within us.

In this case, the flower is Emily Carlson.  

When Emily joined our studio three years ago she brought positive energy, a lovely and cheery disposition, and design skills. Her departure, which she announced recently, would be sad for me if not for the fact that I’ve observed her remarkable, multi-dimensional growth and know she is ready to fulfill a life-long dream.

With her husband Dave, Emily will soon leave sunny California to explore the world. I couldn’t be more pleased for them. In some ways her decision is a natural extension of the artful dreaming we do here in our studio. Our collaborations often involved encouragement to think beyond normal expectations. And passion, inspiration and manifestation are words that became sign posts in our quest to map new dimensions of creative communication.

Storytelling has also been woven into our work. I have been blessed to experience myriad cultures and remarkable places and people while I lived in New York, Los Angeles, Jakarta, Hong Kong and London, and traveled the globe. Many times the stories I’ve shared were intended to illustrate how new experiences often lead to exponential personal growth. Our five senses (and even our sixth sense) can’t help but thrive from the unexpected yet enlivening encounters travel guarantees.

I knew that when the time came for Emily to move on she would leave here a great designer. And I too am better for having had the opportunity to share my skills and part of my life with such a fine, young person. But more to my point, and the seemingly ordinary metaphor I started with, Emily leaves here a more complete and radiant woman. She has truly blossomed.   

My thoughts about Emily are actually a preamble to several blog posts I’ve asked Emily to create before she leaves our shores. I know you’ll enjoy her candid memories and thoughtful ideas about taking risks and living our dreams. 

I wish her all the happiness and success in the world!

~The image at top is some of Emily's beautiful work, seed packets for The Grand Del Mar