January 21, 2014

Traveling through the year, from the City that never sleeps to the City of Victory





Every year around the New Year I like to sit back with a cup of warm tea in my hands and reflect on all that has happened; this year I have more to reflect on than usual. I experienced so many new and wonderful things in the past twelve months, I jokingly question if everything in 2013 really happened. For the first time in my life I have lived for an extended period away from home. By “home” I do not simply mean the house where my parents live, I am also referring to New York City as a whole.

While in high school, Manhattan was my preferred place to “hang out,” not only because it’s entertaining and chic, but for more practical reasons, such as attending school in midtown and working on the west side. Although Manhattan is homey and familiar Brooklyn holds a special place in my heart because it was where my college education began. I spent my freshman year at St. Francis College. I took classes with professors who in a short period of time shaped my life for the better. Despite the fantastic academic rigor, the school did not offer the degree program I was interested in. Eventually I knew I needed to transfer. At the end of the spring semester of my freshman year I was given the opportunity to go on a trip to Spain with nine other students from St. Francis.


The “Spain trip” was not just a trip, it was a cultural immersion experience! We lived two hours North West of Madrid in a town called Segovia. For five weeks we took classes and had weekly excursions to neighboring areas. In that short time my classmates and I learned so much and grew to be more culturally well rounded people. I have always known traveling is a priceless experience, but living in a different country gave me a perspective I would have difficulty acquiring otherwise. The trip enriched my life in ways I am still discovering.

Prior to the “cultural immersion experience” I submitted a transfer application to Arcadia University. While in Spain I was enthralled in all the wonderful activities, I did not pace around waiting for an acceptance or rejection. One morning before class I checked my email expecting nothing out of the ordinary, but to my surprise I received an acceptance letter welcoming me to Arcadia. When my classmates asked me why I chose to transfer, I told them of my future career goals involving a degree in Scientific Illustration. The program is so rare most people don’t even realize it exists.




Arcadia is not a commutable distance from NYC, so upon returning to the US, I had three weeks to prepare for “on campus living.” Once again I was beginning fresh! I remember my first day vividly; moving into the dorms reminded me of stepping off the air plane and into a foreign country. Everything was unfamiliar and everyone, a stranger. It was a bit frightening on my first day, but as soon as I began making friends and unpacking the campus quickly morphed into a comfortable living environment. It took me roughly a month to adjust, coming from “the city that never sleeps,” where there are close to five hundred subway stops connecting four boroughs, the lack of transportation was strange, to say the least, and the pace of life was much slower. As a New Yorker, dorming in Pennsylvania is like living in a foreign country. My time in Spain prepared me in ways I did not expect and this was one of them.

~ Rosa Lovesky