October 31, 2011

Risk is Relative: How a Sheltered Hawaii Girl Discovered her Inner Strength





As the only girl in a very traditional Chinese family, I grew up very sheltered.  Even at a young age, I wanted to sneak out from under my parents’ wings and see the world. So I did it by going to school.  

My way may not sound risky, but for me it was! I was raised to be organized, use check lists and follow time lines.    


Thinking back, even though I didn’t consider myself a risk taker, some of what I did was risky. I was 16 years old when I researched Georgetown University and chose Washington, D.C. because it was as far away from Hawaii as I could imagine. I had never visited the campus, but I saw a picture on a brochure and thought it was pretty.  


Prepared? Not quite. The night before freshman check-in, I arrived at the locked gates of Georgetown University. Here’s a local girl from the islands who had never lived a day in her life without her parents wondering, “Now what?”


Fortunately, I found a school security guard and got into the dorm that wasn’t even open or set up yet. I slept in one of the empty beds. I didn’t think to pack any bedding and the mattress was plastic. I lay some t-shirts on the mattress and piled some together for a pillow. It was so pathetic and the next day was even worse.  


These fancy cars began pulling into the campus. All these people and their friends, swarmed the dorms, laughing and having fun. All these new students had parents to move them in, but mine couldn’t afford to travel with me. They put me on the plane with my two suitcases and sent me on my way. I was alone.  I had no idea what I was getting into. So much for planning.


I sat and waited for my new roommate. When she arrived in a flurry of activity, her family began decorating with Laura Ashley bedding, matching lace curtains, beautiful paintings and photos of classmates. By the time they finished, her side of the room was so pretty with bows, throw pillows and other nice things. I had nothing and I felt so embarrassed.


Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu said, “The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” This ancient proverb would prove useful later when I got my first job out of college in Hong Kong, followed by a rocky start for graduate school in London and then a wild trip to Kathmandu for a long hike — up Mount Everest.

~ Jennifer Li is President Elect of the Junior League of Honolulu and Executive Director of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Hawaii Office. Post 1 of 3