September 23, 2011

Yellow Orange Red Brown



Every year I can feel autumn long before the calendar tells me it has arrived. The changes are subtle but sensual. The arc of the sun shifts, shadows grow longer, and cool breezes announce the arrival of something brisk and dynamic.

The seasonal changing of the guard is a reminder to me that we are constantly moving from one state of grace to another. Without rushing we are asked to evolve. We whisper goodbyes and then shout hellos. We step up the pace so as not to be left behind.

In Southern California I may not feel the encroachment of a new phase as strongly as I did when growing up in New York City. And I do miss the beautiful colors bursting from the trees, the crunch of stepping over the large brown leaves that had fallen to the damp ground. But last night the wind announced the new season's arrival to Los Angeles loud and clear and I was grateful. 

In any case, I take heed and fully embrace the push of autumn — until the next force of nature arrives.