June 17, 2009

"What is the city but the people?" — William Shakespeare


When I leave a place, I always hope that perhaps, in some small way, I've made it just a little bit better and that the experience has made me better. Not only as a global conceptual artist...an entrepreneur...a strategic designer of brand recognition and message...but also as a person.

It's exciting to travel to the ends of the earth to meet the captains and kings of the industrial, financial and corporate worlds. It is humbling and enlivening to be touched by the people of each region I visit. The sharing at every level is what sustains me and creates enduring relationships. Brand development is not merely a vocation. It is a calling. And you might be surprised to learn that it is more about human beings than habitats.

I've seen the sun rise over the harbour many mornings in Hong Kong after a night entertaining at one of our venues...the most beautiful city, Paris, in the moonlight...felt the power and cleansing of tropical rains pouring over the streets of Jakarta...and the contagious buzz of Shanghai exploding as a leader in this new world.

Yet what I invariably recall, even more than the surprising transformation of the environments, is the illumination in the faces of the remarkable people who proudly made contributions or offered support or simply were present to behold the final outcome.

A bad idea, an old identity...these crude things weigh heavily on a company eager to be exceptional. Depth, class, refinement...these enviable results require bold thinking, conviction and the ability to conceive and deliver a message that is emotionally riveting and clear as water.

London...Bangkok...New York...Chicago...Beijing...when I leave these places for other ventures and destinations...I take with me the collaborative zeal I so cherish and hope it will seed the birthing of yet another new realm.

Regina Rubino. Robert Louey.