April 29, 2013



Remembering Herb Meyers brought back smiles, fun, and the hopeful and exciting times working together for many of us. 

Our great friend and colleague, Vinny Picardi became part of that early team and we have continued along intertwining paths from New York City to the City of Angels for over three decades, many more to come, we all hope ; )


Vinny's note to Richard Gerstman:

Thanks for reaching out Richard.
Herb is in our thoughts and prayers.


As many of you know G&M was my first job.
I was the go-for. 
But that didn't stop Herb from taking time to give me words of encouragement. 
Naturally, being Herb, those words had to be earned.
And when my deeds measured up to expectations, Herb was there with an approving nod or a pat on the back.

His lessons, that enriching working environment and all the quality people who worked at 46 West 55th Street are worth some much more than anyone could have asked for. My thanks and blessings to Herb, his family and the extended family of Gerstman+Meyers.

Sincerely,
Vinny Picardi

And a note back to me on our years together in that townhouse:

I entered through the massive wooden doors of Gerstman+Meyers Inc. inquiring about a open position. I had a Wall Street Journal under my arm and a business degree under my belt. I was applying for a job in the shipping department.

Which of course makes absolutely no sense unless you've also walked through the doors of 46 West 55th street and met some "cool designer types" I was used to seeing in movies shown at the St. Marks Square theatre. My future boss Lou Cicardo asked me to "get out!" as I was "...way too overqualified for the job." I persisted declaring, " You don't understand, I need to move out of my parent's house. Now! "

I was hooked. As were all the other employees at G+M. We were lifers. In designer years anyway.

Although it wasn't the smartest career decision to start your career as an aspiring art director in the shipping department of a design firm. It was one of the wisest life decisions you could ever make. My dear friends Robert Louey, Regina Rubino and I are still working together to this day on assorted projects. We all work hard and we all work smart. If you came from G+M that's the only way you know how to work.

We all seem the same as we did back in 1981. In many respects we still are.